New Delhi, Aug 20: Former Army officers have criticised remarks attributed to a tourist in a viral Minamarg viral video, defending soldiers deployed in the strategically sensitive Ladakh region and stressing the need for respectful, fact-based criticism.
The video circulating on social media purportedly shows a woman confronting security personnel at a barricade in Minamarg after traffic was stopped. In the footage, she questions the restrictions imposed on tourists and compares the situation with restrictions experienced by people in Kashmir.
The woman is also heard saying, “We are Gen Z, we’ll not tolerate this nonsense,” a remark that has drawn criticism from former military officers and other public figures.
Mizoram Governor and former Army Chief General VK Singh (Retd) said soldiers protecting the country’s borders should not be unfairly blamed or disrespected.
In a post on X, Singh said India’s armed forces stand between the country and those who seek to harm it. He described the Minamarg episode as a reminder of the courage, sacrifice and vigilance of soldiers serving in challenging conditions.
Singh said that irrespective of the circumstances surrounding the incident, criticism should be based on facts rather than emotion or sweeping allegations. He added that the nation stands with personnel who serve and make sacrifices for the country.
Former Chinar Corps Commander Lieutenant General KJS Dhillon (Retd) also came out in support of the soldiers deployed in the region.
Dhillon said troops posted in such areas protect the routes and locations used by tourists while remaining exposed to difficult conditions and risks. He urged the woman to maintain respect and described responsible citizenship as being linked to following the law.
He also criticised the language used in the video and said people visiting sensitive border areas should understand the responsibilities involved in maintaining security and regulating movement.
Former Chinar Corps Commander Lieutenant General Satish Dua (Retd) also reacted to the controversy, saying the reported remarks about Army salaries being paid through taxpayers’ money undermined the sacrifices made by military personnel.
Dua noted that Army personnel themselves pay taxes and highlighted the security sensitivities associated with Ladakh as a border region. He said the available details of the incident were limited but maintained that the reported comments did not appropriately recognise the role of soldiers.
The controversy has also drawn a political response. Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah criticised the increasingly confrontational use of the phrase “Gen Z” in public discourse.
Reacting to the controversy on social media, Abdullah said the phrase appeared to be becoming a threat used whenever someone felt they had been treated unfairly. He compared the trend with the attitude conveyed by the expression, “Do you know who my father is?”
Abdullah said repeatedly invoking generational identity in a threatening manner could damage the goodwill associated with Gen Z.
The incident took place against the backdrop of security and traffic-management measures along the Srinagar-Leh highway near Zoji La. Minamarg lies in a strategically sensitive area where security checkpoints are maintained.
The Zoji La route is also vulnerable to difficult terrain, rockfalls, landslides and sudden changes in weather. Authorities may regulate traffic and allow vehicles to move through controlled windows depending on road and weather conditions.
The debate surrounding the video has consequently raised questions about the balance between tourists’ concerns, security requirements and respectful public discourse in sensitive border areas.
Former military officials have maintained that questioning administrative decisions is legitimate, but criticism should be informed by facts and should not undermine the service or sacrifice of personnel deployed to protect the region.