JAMMU, Feb 18: Leader of Opposition and BJP legislator Sunil Sharma on Wednesday welcomed the reopening of tourist destinations that had been shut following the Pahalgam terror attack, describing the move as a sign of strengthened security and returning normalcy.
Speaking to reporters outside the Assembly complex, Sharma expressed gratitude to Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha for the decision. He said the step reflects growing confidence in the region’s security environment and acknowledged the role of security forces in stabilising the situation.
Sharma described the development as a morale booster, crediting armed forces and security agencies for maintaining vigilance despite challenges. He said their continued efforts have ensured public safety and prevented further threats.
Responding to questions about remarks by former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and a Union Minister regarding restoration of statehood, Sharma said the process was underway but did not comment on specific consultations. He indicated that discussions on the matter are ongoing at appropriate levels.
Authorities had temporarily closed certain tourist locations as a precautionary measure after the attack in Pahalgam. The reopening is expected to revive tourism activity and restore public confidence in the region.