Manipur Valley Districts Remain Shut for Second Day Amid NRC Demand Strike

Markets, schools and businesses remained closed in five valley districts as protesters pressed for implementation of the National Register of Citizens before Census 2027.

IMPHAL, Aug 19: Normal life remained disrupted across five valley districts of Manipur on Wednesday as markets, educational institutions and commercial establishments stayed closed on the second day of a 48-hour statewide strike over the demand for implementation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) before the census.

The shutdown was called by the Campaign for Just and Free Delimitation (JFD), a students’ organisation seeking the introduction of the NRC in the State before census related activities are carried out.

Public transport remained largely off the roads, although some private vehicles were seen moving through parts of the valley.

In Imphal East and Imphal West, protesters blocked several roads using bamboo poles and stone boulders. Demonstrators also staged protests and displayed posters carrying the message, “No NRC No Census”.

Thoubal, Kakching and Bishnupur districts also witnessed disruptions. Government offices recorded thin attendance, while educational institutions remained closed as the strike continued.

The agitation, however, had little impact on the hill districts, including Churachandpur, where normal activities largely continued.

The latest protest comes amid growing demands for the identification of alleged illegal immigrants in the State. Student groups have been insisting that an NRC exercise should be completed before the census so that questions relating to population records and citizenship can be addressed.

On Sunday, students demonstrated outside the Directorate of Census Operations in Imphal over the issue. Police used tear gas shells to disperse the protesters as the demonstration intensified.

Hundreds of people had also participated in a torch rally in Imphal East and Imphal West on the evening of August 16, raising slogans in support of an NRC exercise before the census process begins.

The State government has indicated that it supports the demand. Chief Minister Y Khemchand Singh said on Tuesday that the government had backed the issue and pointed out that the Manipur Assembly had already adopted a resolution on NRC in 2022.

State government spokesperson and MLA Sapam Ranjan Singh also said a delegation of legislators would travel to New Delhi to meet central leaders and convey the demand for conducting the NRC before the census.

Meanwhile, the Census 2027 exercise has entered its preparatory phase. The self-enumeration process was scheduled to begin on August 17, while the main house-listing operation is scheduled from September 1 to September 30.

The Chief Minister has appealed to protesters to adopt alternative forms of agitation instead of imposing bandhs and road blockades, saying such disruptions affect daily wage workers and students.

The continuing shutdown has once again brought the NRC issue to the centre of public debate in Manipur, with protesters seeking action before the next stage of the census exercise.

Manipur Valley