Armed Teen Detained Near US Capitol Following Security Alert
Swift action by Capitol Police prevents potential security breach suspect faces multiple firearms charges
Washington, D.C., Feb 18: An armed teen arrested near US Capitol after rushing toward the building with a loaded shotgun triggered a rapid security response from the United States Capitol Police (USCP) on Tuesday afternoon.
Authorities said the 18 year old, identified as Carter Camacho of Smyrna, Georgia, drove a white Mercedes-Benz SUV to the 100 block of Maryland Avenue Southwest before exiting the vehicle carrying the weapon near the West Front of the United States Capitol. He was wearing a tactical vest and gloves at the time.
According to police, officers spotted the suspect as he approached the Lower West Terrace shortly after noon. They immediately challenged him, ordering him to drop the firearm and lie on the ground. He complied and was taken into custody without incident.
Capitol Police Chief Michael Sullivan said the suspect reached the base of the steps leading to the Capitol before being apprehended. Officers drew their weapons during the confrontation, but no shots were fired and no injuries were reported.
Investigators recovered additional ammunition from the suspect. A Kevlar helmet and gas mask were later found inside the SUV, which was parked near the United States Botanic Garden. Police noted that the vehicle was not registered in his name.
Camacho has been charged with unlawful activities, carrying a rifle without a license, possession of an unregistered firearm, and unregistered ammunition. Officials said he was not previously known to Capitol Police. The department’s Threat Assessment Section is continuing to investigate his motive.
Sullivan highlighted that regular active threat drills conducted across the Capitol Complex contributed to the swift response. He said similar exercises are held monthly to ensure officers remain prepared for potential emergencies.
The incident briefly prompted road closures and advisories to avoid the area. Lawmakers were away from Washington on a scheduled recess at the time. Officials confirmed that existing security arrangements for President Donald Trump’s upcoming State of the Union address will remain unchanged.