Two JeM Terrorists Eliminated During Anti-Terror Operation in Kishtwar
Army says joint ‘Trashi-I’ operation in Chatroo belt led to recovery of AK-47 rifles; search still underway
J&K, Feb 22 : Two militants linked to Jaish-e-Mohammed were killed in an encounter with security forces in a remote area of Kishtwar on Sunday, officials said.
According to the Army, the action took place under ‘Operation Trashi-I’ in the general area of Passerkut in the Chatroo belt. Arms and ammunition, including two AK-47 rifles, were recovered from the site.
In a post on X, the Army’s White Knight Corps said the operation was launched based on intelligence inputs gathered from the Jammu and Kashmir Police, the Intelligence Bureau and internal sources. Troops of the Counter Intelligence Force (CIF) Delta, working in coordination with police and CRPF, re-engaged the militants around 11 am in difficult terrain after establishing earlier contact.
Officials said the suspects were hiding inside a mudhouse along the foothills and opened fire on search teams, triggering an intense exchange. The Army stated that the forces displayed “tactical precision” and neutralised both militants at the encounter site.
Preliminary information indicates that the slain individuals were Pakistani nationals associated with the banned outfit. A search operation is continuing in the area.
The Chatroo forest region has witnessed multiple gunfights in recent weeks. Last month, several encounters were reported in the belt, resulting in the death of a soldier and a militant.
With Sunday’s operation, security forces have eliminated six JeM operatives in separate incidents across the Jammu region this year, including earlier encounters in Udhampur and Kathua districts.