Zoya Akhtar Confirms Work Underway on Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara 2
The filmmaker says the much-awaited sequel is in development after fans repeatedly mistook a reunion advertisement for an official film teaser.
MUMBAI, Aug 19: Filmmaker Zoya Akhtar has confirmed that work is underway on the much-awaited sequel to Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, giving fans fresh hope of seeing Hrithik Roshan, Farhan Akhtar and Abhay Deol reunite on screen.
The filmmaker recently recalled the unusual reaction that followed an advertisement featuring the three actors. Fans initially believed the reunion was a teaser for a second instalment of the popular 2011 film, leading to widespread excitement on social media.
When audiences realised that the footage was actually part of an advertisement, the excitement quickly turned into disappointment. Akhtar said she received abusive messages from some users who believed the film had been announced.
The original movie, directed by Akhtar, became one of Bollywood’s most popular friendship dramas, following three friends on a road trip through Spain. Its themes of friendship, self discovery and overcoming personal fears have helped the film maintain a strong following years after its release.
Akhtar’s latest comments are significant because they indicate that the sequel is no longer merely the subject of fan speculation. While details about the story, cast and production schedule remain limited, the filmmaker has indicated that development is taking place.
The possibility of bringing the original trio together has generated considerable interest among audiences who have been waiting for another chapter in the story.
The project, however, is expected to require coordination around the schedules of Roshan, Farhan Akhtar and Deol before production can formally move forward.