Independent , Honest and Dignified Journalism

NEET Paper Leak Case: Five Accused Sent To Judicial Custody, Court Extends CBI Remand Of Khairnar

Investigators widen nationwide crackdown to uncover larger examination paper leak network

New Delhi, May 20: The investigation into the NEET-UG 2026 examination leak intensified on Wednesday after a Delhi court sent five accused persons to judicial custody till June 2 while granting the Central Bureau of Investigation additional time to interrogate another key suspect linked to the alleged nationwide racket.

Special Judge Ajay Gupta approved the CBI’s request seeking judicial custody for Mangilal Khatik, Vikas Biwal, Dinesh Biwal, Yash Yadav and Dhananjay Lokhande, all accused of being part of an organised network involved in leaking and distributing confidential examination material for financial gain.

The court also extended the custodial interrogation of accused Shubham Khairnar by five more days, allowing investigators to continue questioning him regarding the alleged circulation of leaked NEET-UG 2026 question papers across multiple states.

According to the CBI, Khairnar’s interrogation is crucial to identifying additional members of the network, tracing communication channels and examining digital evidence connected to the conspiracy. Investigators informed the court that several electronic devices, financial transactions and communication records linked to the operation still require detailed forensic analysis.

The agency stated that Khairnar allegedly sold examination papers to multiple individuals before the medical entrance test and may possess critical information about the larger syndicate responsible for the leak. Officials also told the court that the accused needs to be taken to various locations, including Nashik in Maharashtra, to identify places where questions were allegedly shared with selected candidates ahead of the examination.

The federal agency maintained that the investigation is still at an early stage and that several important links in the case remain to be uncovered.

Earlier this month, the court had remanded Mangilal Khatik, Vikas Biwal, Dinesh Biwal, Yash Yadav and Shubham Khairnar to seven days of CBI custody after observing that the allegations pointed toward the functioning of a highly organised group engaged in leaking examination papers for monetary benefits.

A day later, accused Dhananjay Lokhande was also sent to CBI custody, with the court stressing the need for a comprehensive investigation to identify all conspirators, recover crucial evidence and prevent destruction or tampering of records.

During Wednesday’s hearing, the CBI additionally sought specimen signatures of accused Manisha Mandhare and Shivraj Motegaonkar as part of the ongoing probe. Officials said the handwriting and signature samples are necessary for further examination of documents and seized material connected to the case.

So far, the agency has arrested ten individuals in connection with the alleged leak of the NEET-UG 2026 examination paper.

Among those arrested are alleged mastermind Prahlad Vithalrao Kulkarni and Manisha Sanjay Waghmare, both of whom were remanded to ten days of CBI custody earlier this week.

Investigators have described Kulkarni as a key figure in the operation who allegedly coordinated with several accused persons to distribute confidential examination material to selected students in exchange for large sums of money.

The CBI has also accused biology lecturer Manisha Mandhare, a member of the National Testing Agency’s paper-setting committee, of involvement in the conspiracy. She was arrested on May 16 and later sent to fourteen days of CBI custody.

According to investigators, Manisha Waghmare allegedly conspired with individuals associated with the National Testing Agency and helped obtain question papers and answer keys before the examination. The agency claims she later supplied the material to several accused persons, including Dhananjay Lokhande, for financial benefits.

Another major arrest in the case was that of Shivraj Raghunath Motegaonkar, founder of the Renukai Career Centre coaching institute in Latur. The CBI alleged that he received chemistry questions and answer sheets before the NEET examination held on May 3.

The court had sent Motegaonkar to nine days of CBI custody on May 18 while noting that investigators still needed to uncover the complete extent of the conspiracy.

The NEET-UG 2026 examination, conducted for admissions to undergraduate medical courses across the country, was cancelled just two days after it was held following widespread allegations of a paper leak.

The Union Government subsequently handed over the matter to the CBI for a comprehensive inquiry into the alleged irregularities, triggering one of the biggest investigations into examination malpractice in recent years.

Officials said the probe is expected to continue across multiple states as investigators attempt to identify all individuals involved in leaking, distributing and monetising the confidential examination material.

WhatsApp Channel