Independent , Honest and Dignified Journalism

Trump Netanyahu Rift Emerges During Heated Call Over Iran War Strategy

US signals preference for negotiations while Israel seeks renewed military action against Tehran

Washington, May 21: Differences between US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly surfaced during a tense phone conversation over the future direction of the ongoing conflict involving Iran, according to multiple US media reports.

The discussion, held on Tuesday, highlighted growing disagreement between Washington and Tel Aviv over whether to resume military strikes or continue diplomatic negotiations aimed at ending the conflict.

Reports said Netanyahu strongly favoured renewed military operations to further weaken Iran’s military infrastructure and strategic capabilities. However, the Trump administration appeared more inclined toward securing a negotiated settlement through regional mediation efforts.

According to reports, Trump had earlier postponed planned strikes on Iran following requests from Gulf nations including Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, which have been actively involved in diplomatic efforts to reduce tensions in the region.

A revised peace proposal has reportedly been prepared by Qatar and Pakistan in coordination with other regional mediators to bridge differences between Washington and Tehran. The proposed framework is aimed at preventing a wider regional war while reopening diplomatic channels.

Despite the ongoing talks, Netanyahu remains deeply sceptical about Iran’s intentions and is reportedly pressing for stronger military action to damage Tehran’s strategic infrastructure and weaken its regional influence.

President Trump, however, indicated that he still believes a diplomatic breakthrough remains possible, although he warned that military action could resume if negotiations fail.

Speaking at the Coast Guard Academy, Trump said the situation stood “right on the borderline” between a peace agreement and renewed conflict. He stressed that Washington expected “complete and satisfactory answers” from Tehran before moving forward with any settlement.

American media reports also indicated frustration within sections of the Israeli leadership over what they described as Iran’s slow diplomatic response and the continued delay in resuming military operations.

At the same time, Trump maintained that relations with Netanyahu remained strong, saying the Israeli Prime Minister “will do whatever I want him to do” regarding the Iran situation.

Iran has confirmed that it is reviewing the updated proposal but has not publicly indicated any major shift in its negotiating position. Iranian Foreign Ministry officials stated that discussions are continuing on the basis of Tehran’s 14-point framework for ending the conflict.

Pakistan’s Interior Minister was also reported to be in Tehran as part of ongoing mediation efforts involving regional stakeholders seeking to avoid further escalation in West Asia.

According to sources familiar with the Trump-Netanyahu conversation, mediators are working on a possible “letter of intent” that could formally pause the conflict and initiate a 30-day negotiation period between the United States and Iran.

The proposed talks would reportedly focus on Iran’s nuclear programme, regional security concerns and the reopening of the strategically important Strait of Hormuz, which remains vital for global oil transportation.

The developments come amid heightened global concern over rising oil prices, regional instability and the risk of broader conflict across West Asia. Analysts believe the coming days will be critical in determining whether diplomacy prevails or military operations resume.

WhatsApp Channel