Independent , Honest and Dignified Journalism

Armed Man Shot Dead Near White House Security Checkpoint, Says US Secret Service

Security scare near White House leaves one dead, bystander injured

Washington, May 24: A major security scare unfolded near the White House on Saturday evening after an armed individual allegedly opened fire at a security checkpoint guarded by the US Secret Service. Federal authorities confirmed that the suspect was shot by officers during the confrontation and later died at a nearby hospital.

According to a statement issued by the US Secret Service, the incident occurred shortly after 6 pm Eastern Time near the White House complex in central Washington. Preliminary findings suggest that the suspect approached a secured checkpoint carrying a bag, removed a firearm and began shooting toward officers stationed at the post.

Secret Service personnel immediately responded by returning fire, striking the attacker and bringing the situation under control within moments. Officials said no Secret Service officers sustained injuries during the exchange.

Trump Safe During Security Incident

Authorities confirmed that US President Donald Trump was present at the White House at the time of the shooting but was not harmed or directly affected by the incident. Security around the presidential residence was rapidly tightened as emergency protocols were activated.

Journalists stationed inside the White House complex reported hearing multiple rounds of gunfire. Members of the press were quickly instructed to move into secure areas, including the press briefing room, while law enforcement agencies assessed the threat.

Bystander Also Injured

A bystander was also struck during the shooting, though officials said it remains unclear whether the injury was caused by bullets fired by the suspect or by responding officers during the exchange. The injured person was provided medical assistance at the scene before being taken for treatment.

Images from the area showed a large police presence outside the White House perimeter. Yellow crime-scene tape surrounded sections of the sidewalk while investigators marked evidence points across the area. Emergency medical kits and protective gloves used by first responders were also visible near the scene.

Dramatic Moments Captured On Camera

The tense incident was partially captured on video by ABC News senior White House correspondent Selina Wang, who was filming a social media update near the White House driveway when the gunfire erupted.

In the video shared on X, Wang can be seen speaking about the administration’s foreign policy remarks before sudden bursts of gunshots interrupt the recording. She immediately ducks for cover as the sounds continue in the background. The footage quickly spread across social media platforms and received millions of views within hours.

Earlier in the evening, the Secret Service acknowledged reports of gunfire near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, an area located just steps from the White House grounds. Authorities urged the public to avoid the vicinity while officers secured the scene.

Area Has Witnessed Previous Security Threats

The latest incident adds to a series of recent security concerns near the White House and surrounding federal landmarks in Washington.

Last November, two members of the West Virginia National Guard were ambushed near the same area. US Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom lost her life in that attack, while another guard member suffered critical injuries. Authorities later charged Rahmanullah Lakanwal in connection with the incident.

Saturday’s shooting also comes weeks after an alleged assassination attempt targeting President Trump during the annual White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner held in Washington on April 25. Federal prosecutors charged Cole Tomas Allen in that case, and he remains in custody after pleading not guilty.

Another shooting near the Washington Monument on May 4 also resulted in Secret Service officers opening fire on a suspect after shots were allegedly directed toward law enforcement personnel. Authorities charged Michael Marx in that case. A teenage bystander was injured during the incident.

Investigation Underway

The Metropolitan Police Department and the Secret Service continue to investigate Saturday’s shooting. Officials have not yet released the identity of the deceased suspect or disclosed a possible motive behind the attack.

Security operations remained heightened around the White House late into the evening as forensic teams collected evidence and investigators interviewed witnesses.

WhatsApp Channel